مشاهدة مشاركة واحدة (من مجموع 1)
  • الكاتب
    المشاركات
    lonely heart
    مشارك

Wash my hands of it
    commonly, when someone has attempted to avert a wrong and it continues anyway, he states, “I wash my hands of the issue”, indicating that he is clean and not to blame. This comes from Jesus’ trial, as recorded in Matthew 27:24. Pontius Pilate, who was in charge of sentencing Christ, claimed that Jesus was innocent as far as he could tell. However, the crowds pushed to have Him executed. “When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather that a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd, saying, ‘I am innocent of this Man’s blood; see to that yourselves.’

In the bag
    Meaning ‘secured’ this idiom Originated in Great Britian when a bag was placed under the Speaker’s chair. If there was a petition that was ‘put in the bag’ then it must be raised on that day.

Kick the Bucket
    Kick the bucket means to die. Possibly refers to people who committed suicide by attaching a rope to a beam, then standing on a bucket and kicking it away so they would hang themselves.

Pick up your ears
    To pay careful attention. This origin probably was coined from the habit of dogs, horses and other animals in which they lift their ears when listening attentively.
    Put on your thinking cap
    meaning to think hard, this phrase comes from the judicial practice of giving a death sentence after soberly donning a black cap.
    Under the Weather
    this popular phrase for “ill” dates back to 1827. It is commonly believed that bad weather can make you sick.

مشاهدة مشاركة واحدة (من مجموع 1)
  • يجب تسجيل الدخول للرد على هذا الموضوع.

يستخدم موقع مجالسنا ملفات تعريف الارتباط الكوكيز لتحسين تجربتك في التصفح. سنفترض أنك موافق على هذا الإجراء، وفي حالة إنك لا ترغب في الوصول إلى تلك البيانات ، يمكنك إلغاء الاشتراك وترك الموقع فوراً . موافق إقرأ المزيد